TAE50216 Diploma of Training Design and Development
Usage: Superseded Dec 22.
This Qualification has recently been superseded with the new TAE50122 Diploma of Vocational Education and Training and is equivalent. We recommend enrolling in the TAE50216 Diploma of Training Design and Development while available as this program is still funded by DTWD (for eligible WA students). All eligible students can access funding, lose no time and can be transitioned into the new Qualification.
Here at The Pivot Institute, we are leaders in the field with our own Pivot Online Learning System (POLS). Virtual face-to-face participants will be set up on our leading online learning platform; the Pivot Online Learning System (POLS). This platform provides students with the content, resources and assessment documentation necessary to complete the course. Participants will attend virtual classrooms with industry leading facilitators. Participants can start the course anytime and will be required to book in and attend sessions via Zoom. Printed workbooks, assessment documentation and all resources are provided and posted to students.
You can start the course any time. You will be provided with a hard copy pack including your Learner’s Guide, assessment materials and all relevant supporting material. In addition access will be provided to the Pivot Online Learning System (POLS). This platform holds all the learning material, assessment requirements, resources, needed to complete the qualification.
If you are currently training and assessing and you already hold the underpinning knowledge and skills required to demonstrate competency, then RPL may be an option. Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) is an assessment process that assesses your non-formal and formal learning to determine how your current skills and knowledge match the competency outcomes for partial or full qualification. RPL must be based on evidence which can be matched against relevant units. This evidence will depend on the unit and some evidence will go across a number of units. Your assessor must be satisfied that you have addressed all the requirements of the relevant unit before they can grant you RPL in that unit. RPL assessment at The Pivot Institute allows you to evidence your skills and knowledge through the completion of an RPL kit.
Non- funded price (Facilitated virtual delivery): $3,500*
Non- funded price (Supported distance delivery): $2920 ($2800 plus resource fee $120)
If you wish to apply for the full qualification, please complete the below application form titled COURSE APPLICATION FORM and then email it back to us.
Pursue your passion in training and become an instructional designer!
The TAE50216 Diploma of Training Design and Development is the qualification for individuals whose roles involve analysing training needs and designing training solutions and products to meet workplace capability requirements.
This qualification reflects the roles of training developers and instructional designers who are responsible for analysing training needs and designing training solutions and products to meet workplace capability requirements, and evaluating the effectiveness of training programs. They may have a role in providing guidance and advice to trainers and assessors, promoting innovative practices.
This qualification is aimed at participants who are working in a training role within an organisation and are responsible for the design of products and training solutions and leading other trainers and assessors as well as designing approaches to learning and assessment strategies across their organisation.
It is beneficial for participants to have access to a workplace or realistic simulated environment to complete the assessment. Strong language and literacy skills are required. Participants must also have access to a computer with a reliable and stable internet connection for online/virtual classroom delivery and must be competent in using Microsoft Office or equivalent.
Eligibility for subsidised training and concession
- Persons must be an Australian Citizen, Permanent Resident or holders of approved Visa subclasses 309,444,785,790,820;
- Secondary holders of a temporary visa of sub class 457; and
- Holders of a Bridging Visa E (Subclass 050 and 051) where the visa holder has made a valid application for a visa of subclass 785 or 790.
- Persons primary place of residence is in Western Australia
- Persons under 18 years of age in the year of enrolment must be under a DoE Notice of
Arrangement (NoA)2 (Full Time) or exempted from the School Education Act 1999.
This does not include Students undertaking a school based program such as an
Apprenticeship, Traineeship, Pre-apprenticeship, or Aboriginal School Based Training
- Persons must have a valid Unique Student Identifier (USI)
- Persons aged 15—24 years at the time of enrolment (excluding students enrolled at school)
- Persons and dependents of persons in receipt of services from one of the following Commonwealth support or employment services programs:
- Online Employment Services
(a letter from the Commonwealth services provider confirming the student’s participation in the program is required)
- Persons and dependents of persons receiving the Youth Allowance, AUSTUDY or ABSTUDY
- Persons and dependents of persons holding:
- a pensioner concession card or Health Care Card; or
- a Repatriation Health Benefits Card issued by the Department of Veterans’ Affairs
- Dependents of persons who are inmates of a custodial institution
Click here to view the documents you need to submit as proof of concession eligibility.
*Students who obtain in a funded place can only be enrolled in one funded course at a time
The average time it takes to complete varies significantly depending on the skills and knowledge you already hold relevant to training and assessment. If, for example, you are attending the facilitated virtual delivery classes and you have completed the relevant activities, you will still need to allow the following suggested time to complete the qualification.
5 hours a week – 18 months
8 hours a week – 12 months
Experience in the VET sector in training and assessment can greatly lower the amount of time required to successfully complete the qualification.
Modes of Delivery
Supported Distance Learning – You can start the course any time. You will be supported by a trainer/assessor and provided with a hard copy pack including your Learner’s Guide, assessments, and all relevant resources. In addition, access will be provided 24/7 to the Pivot Online Learning System (POLS) that includes all the learning material, assessment and resources needed to complete the course.
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) – Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) is an assessment process that assesses your non-formal and formal learning to determine how your current skills and knowledge match the competency outcomes for partial or full qualification. RPL assessment at The Pivot Institute allows you to evidence your skills and knowledge through the completion of an RPL kit.
Broad Learning Outcomes
– Undertake an organisational training needs analysis to accurately identify current and future training needs.
– Design and develop Training and Assessment Strategies (TAS) to meet the requirements of the Standards for Registered Training Organisations (RTO’s) 2015 to support the roll our of quality training and assessment.
– Develop targeted and relevant learning resources to support learners to gain the relevant skills and knowledge.
– Identify the language, literacy and numeracy (LLN) skill requirements of the training, and work environment and use resources and strategies that meet the needs of the learner group.
– Design and develop a full set of assessment tools for at least three units of competency.
– Design vocational competency documents and identify professional development opportunities for a training team.
– Identify key skills and attributes required to lead trainers and assessors in the workplace including conducting relevant professional development.
– Design, develop and deliver powerful targeted training using advanced facilitation techniques.
– Lead and manage the assessment processes as part of a continuous improvement strategy among a group of assessors within an RTO.
– Evaluate training programs and provide a summary report.
TAETAS501 – Undertake Organisational Training Needs Analysis
TAEDES501 – Design & Develop Learning Strategies
TAEDES502 – Design & Develop Learning Resources
TAEDES503 – Design and develop e-learning resources
TAEDEL501 – Facilitate e-learning
TAEPDD501 – Maintain & Enhance Professional Practice
TAEASS502 – Design & Develop Assessment Tools
TAELLN411 – Address Adult Language, Literacy & Numeracy Skills
TAEDES505 – Evaluate a Training Program
Plus one unit of your choice.
FACILITATED VIRTUAL (4 days)
TAEDES502 – Design & Develop Learning Resources – Tues 11th April & Mon 9th Oct 2023
TAEDES503 – Design and develop e-learning resources – Wed 12th April & Tue 10th Oct 2023
TAEDEL501 – Facilitate e-learning – Thur 13th April & Wed 11th Oct 2023
FACILITATED VIRTUAL (2 days)
TAEPDD501 – Maintain & Enhance Professional Practice – Thur 2nd Feb & 11th May 2023
TAEDES505 – Evaluate a Training Program – Fri 12th May & Thu 24th Aug 2023
FACILITATED VIRTUAL (2 days)
TAETAS501 – Undertake Organisational Training Needs Analysis – Tuesday 22nd August 2023
TAEDES501 – Design & Develop Learning Strategies – Wednesday 23rd August 2023
TAELLN411 and TAEASS502 are run regularly, so if you wish to complete these units via training and assessment pathway you are welcome to attend any of the course dates:
TAEASS502 – Design & Develop Assessment Tools – Contact Us for Dates
TAELLN411 – Address adult language, literacy and numeracy skills – Contact Us for Dates
FACILITATED VIRTUAL (1 day)
BSBSTR502 – Facilitate Continuous Improvement – Wednesday 19th April 2023
For each unit, you will be provided with a Candidate Assignment Booklet. In each booklet there are series of tasks relevant to each unit. We work to ensure that tasks are clear and you have the right support and resources to undertake your assessments. This qualification requires that a number of activities are undertaken to prove competency, so please consider these requirements prior to committing to the program. You will need to complete all tasks in order to be assessed for competency. Your assessments will comprise of a number of tasks which will include some of the following:
– Undertake two organisational training needs analyses.
– Design and develop two training and assessment strategies
– Develop learning resources which cover a full unit of competency as relevant to the target group.
– Design, develop and deliver at least 100 hours of advanced facilitation.
– Provide professional development opportunities to support trainers and assessors in an RTO.
– Develop a vocational competency document and professional development plan which meets the requirements of the Standards for Registered Training Organisations (RTO’s).
– Design, develop and review at least three full sets of assessment tools which cover at least three units of competency.
– Analyse LLN requirements of training specifications and work environment and provide relevant support to learners.
– Use research methodology to effectively evaluate and report on the quality of a training program.
– Answer a range of questions as relevant to each unit area.
During the assessment process your assessor will:
– Answer any questions or concerns you may have about the assessment process or tasks
– Assess your competency as required by the unit of competency, by making judgments about the evidence presented in line with the rules of evidence: validity, authenticity, currency and sufficiency
– Give you feedback on the outcomes of the assessment process
– Provide your results, either competent or not yet competent
– Advise you on the outcomes of the assessment including the appeals process you can follow if you disagree with the assessment decision.
Click here to download the enrolment form
Get a USI (Unique Student Identifier)
A USI is your lifelong education number – you only need to create it once. If you have undertaken any VET training since 2015, you may already have a USI. You can find it here.
If you don’t have USI, you can Apply for USI
Enhance your design and development skills and build your vocational experience!
Click here for information on other funded courses offered by The Pivot Institute!